We were on a mission to make the best clothing for our kids with sensitive skin...
...but, along the way we discovered fast fashion.
When people hear the terms "fashion", "clothing", and "apparel", they typically think about things like which fads are trending, which designers are hot, and which cute dress they should buy for their next event. After all, shopping for clothes that look and make you feel good is fun! But the unfortunate reality is that behind the styles, sales, and purchases lurks an industry that is incredibly detrimental to people and our environment. The facts speak for themselves...
1. 30% of chemicals, dyes, and solvents used to produce clothing pose serious threats to human health (Ideas for Us, 2019).
2. Over 50% of garment workers are not paid a living wage (Ideas for Us, 2019).
3. Fashion is the world's third most carbon-intensive industry supply chain, accounting for 5% of the world's annual carbon dioxide emissions. Only the food and construction supply chains account for more (World Economic Forum, 2021).
4. Fashion produces 92 million tons of solid waste per year, or about 4% of the world's total. More solid waste is attributable to fashion than to supermarkets and discarded electronics (Wicker, 2021).
5. Fashion is the second leading cause of plastic pollution in the world's oceans. Washing clothes made with synthetic fibers releases 500,000 tons of microfibers into the ocean each year - the equivalent of 50 billion plastic bottles (Wicker, 2021).
Crann Apparel produces safe, soft, sustainable, and skin-friendly basics for families.
How are our products better?
Here are a few examples of how we are tackling the fashion industry's sustainability crisis:
When it comes to sustainability and ethical fashion, we don't claim to be perfect.
When it comes to sustainability and ethical fashion, we don't claim to be perfect. We recognize that the fashion industry has a long way to go in reaching a point of true sustainability. We do, however, stand by our commitment to making a product that is significantly better than mainstream alternatives. We also vow to be transparent about our business, be authentic with our message, and strive for continuous improvement.
Have a question or comment about sustainability? Please contact us at email@example.com. We welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry.
Ideas for US. (2019, July 9). Is Fashion Killing the Planet and Its People?https://ideasforus.org/is-fashion-killing-the-planet-and-its-people/
Wicker, A. (2021, April 1). Fashion is Not the 2nd Most Polluting Industry After Oil. But, What is it? Ecocult. https://ecocult.com/now-know-fashion-5th-polluting-industry-equal-livestock/
World Economic Forum. (2021, January 21). Net Zero Challenge: The Supply Chain Opportunity. https://www.weforum.org/reports/net-zero-challenge-the-supply-chain-opportunity
Join us on our journey!
Sign up today to save 20% off your first order.
Subscribe to get special offers, free giveaways, and sustainability news.